Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter

This past weekend was obviously Easter! We had a BLAST! Aaron originally had to work on Saturday and was going to miss Emma's first egg hunt, but a kind single Airman took his place for the funeral, and he was able to join us!! Of course Emma loved hunting eggs and all of the candy that was inside them.

Now, call me crazy, but I wished there wasn't any candy inside. Maybe I'm a snob, but I don't want my children to have candy at every holiday. Candy in their Easter baskets, candy for Valentine's Day, candy in their Christmas stocking, etc. etc. Why? Why does everyone feel the need to do this? Is it because that's what we got as kids, so that's just what we are used to? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE candy, but it's terrible for us. I mean really, no nutritional value whatsoever. I am totally down for sweet treats and snacks here and there, but for the most part, I don't want my girls having those sorts of things! Call me a snob, I DON'T CARE! In my eyes, it is up to us as parents to help our kiddos make the right choices. This includes food choices. I cannot say that we are perfect eaters over here, but we are pretty good at eating wholesome meals and trying to eat real foods all the time. We make a lot of our things from scratch and don't buy many things that are packaged. I don't want my girls to be raised on the same foods that I was raised on (no offense to anyone that raised me, ;)

Seriously though, why would we give our children candy for every holiday? After a few times, they come to expect it, then they want it more than just for holidays, then it becomes weekly, then everyday. No thank you! I do not want that to happen in my house! So, I am proud to say that my girls did not have a single ounce of candy in their baskets. Instead, they each had a small toy, a pair of shoes, some new spoons and forks, and some clothes. Practical and useful. That's the way I like it to be! Maybe this post makes me snob, but as I said before, I really don't care! I feel like helping my girls to make the right choices is one of my duties as their mother and feeding them loads of candy for every holiday is a good way to head them in the wrong direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment